Thursday, March 29, 2012

data sources for subscriptions, linked reports, how it can all wor

I think I must be missing something here...
I, as the developer, create Report1 and Report2: they use DataSouceA.
DataSourceA is set to use windows integrated security.
My on-demade reports run fine. The username (selected from the db, not from the Globals collection) is used to filter out options on the parameter screen, so users can only see data in their respective division.
Now: I want my USERS to be able to schedule reports.
I am able to schedule reports by taking Report1 and Report2 and either customizing the data source or pointing it to a new data source: BUT I AM DOING THAT FOR ALL USERS who are on the system!!! Now, anyone who goes to run Report1 or Report2 does not need to have any security to access the database, they are all using my id!
If I create a LINKED report, you do not seem to have the option of changing the data source...it is not even on the left menu anymore. '
So: I am confused. If I have to set up all reports to used a saved data source (lets just say it is my username and password), what is the sense of having any security? I must be missing something here.
What I want is the NT integrated security for on-demand. Then if a user has the ability to schedule reports, they would need to make a linked copy of the report, change the data source (and remember there is no way to copy a data source, so my users will have to ALL be trained on creating them - which seems a bit odd) to point to a datasource with stored credentials (preferrably their own login and password), and create a schedule.Unfortunately there is not a good solution for this in V1. Integrated
reports can not be scheduled. We are hoping to change this in a future
version.
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"asc_rmc" <asc_rmc@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9FD821AD-F312-473A-B20F-FD639B3D75FA@.microsoft.com...
> I think I must be missing something here...
> I, as the developer, create Report1 and Report2: they use DataSouceA.
> DataSourceA is set to use windows integrated security.
> My on-demade reports run fine. The username (selected from the db, not
from the Globals collection) is used to filter out options on the parameter
screen, so users can only see data in their respective division.
> Now: I want my USERS to be able to schedule reports.
> I am able to schedule reports by taking Report1 and Report2 and either
customizing the data source or pointing it to a new data source: BUT I AM
DOING THAT FOR ALL USERS who are on the system!!! Now, anyone who goes to
run Report1 or Report2 does not need to have any security to access the
database, they are all using my id!
> If I create a LINKED report, you do not seem to have the option of
changing the data source...it is not even on the left menu anymore. '
> So: I am confused. If I have to set up all reports to used a saved data
source (lets just say it is my username and password), what is the sense of
having any security? I must be missing something here.
> What I want is the NT integrated security for on-demand. Then if a user
has the ability to schedule reports, they would need to make a linked copy
of the report, change the data source (and remember there is no way to copy
a data source, so my users will have to ALL be trained on creating them -
which seems a bit odd) to point to a datasource with stored credentials
(preferrably their own login and password), and create a schedule.
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment