Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Data Source issues through migration

We are using SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services. Our data resides in
Teradata. We have a Development/Acceptance Teradata server (TDDEV) and a
Production Teradata server (TDPROD). Our databases are named slightly
differently on each. For example, a database name EDM_D in development is
named EDM_A for acceptance and EDM_P in Production. What is the best way to
manage the need to change the schema name through migration? We want to
avoid opening every dataset, searching and replacing the schema name. I have
found that I can use a report parameter, but that stilll requires opening
multiple reports. Is there a way to create a global parameter for the
project? I am at my wit's end!Here's how I handle this.
The reports are created using a shared data source, let's say EDM in your
example.
Then in the target folder in each environment, I create a data source named
EDM, and enter an appropriate Connection string that connects to the
appropriate database.
"LoveBoxers" wrote:
> We are using SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services. Our data resides in
> Teradata. We have a Development/Acceptance Teradata server (TDDEV) and a
> Production Teradata server (TDPROD). Our databases are named slightly
> differently on each. For example, a database name EDM_D in development is
> named EDM_A for acceptance and EDM_P in Production. What is the best way to
> manage the need to change the schema name through migration? We want to
> avoid opening every dataset, searching and replacing the schema name. I have
> found that I can use a report parameter, but that stilll requires opening
> multiple reports. Is there a way to create a global parameter for the
> project? I am at my wit's end!

No comments:

Post a Comment