Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Data source with a type of SSIS

I know that you can do this, because I have read about it in MSDN, but I'm not suer about the syntax.

I am creating a report that needs an SSIS type data source. I have deleted the comments in the relevant config files both on my local machine (development) and the reporting services server, and can see SSIS as data type. Now for the tricky bit!

I go to create a new data source. Give it a name, choose SSIS as a data type, and now for the connection string. I "think" I know what I would do if it were a file system SSIS package, but it is stored in the MSDB. What connection string do I use to connect to this data source? There are no DTSX files on the server. Somehow, I presume, I have to talk directly to the MSDB..... Any ideas anyone?

OK, so I gave up on trying to get data out of the MSDB! I capitulated to the MSDN way of doing things and saved my SSIS package as a file system object and attached in that way.

Works like a dream - surprisingly fast. I wonder how it will perform (if at all) when using report snapshots!

If anyone has been successful in reporting over an SSIS, MSDB data source, I would appreciate it if you could post the solution here.

No comments:

Post a Comment