Thursday, March 29, 2012

Data Summaries(Histograms) in SQL 2005

Hello everyone,
My question is regarding some internals of SQL Server 2005. Does anyone know what kind of histograms are used for estimating query result size? I understand that this is a bit not T-SQL question but didn't really know where to put it :)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ando

Hi Ando,

Lookup BOL for DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS, this should give you the information you need (if I've understood your question).

If you need more details please ask.

Jamie

|||

Hello Jamie,
Thanks for your reply.
DBCC SHOW_STATISTICS shows some information about statistics. My initial question was about underlying data structures(type of histograms). There are limitless techniques, including some novel ones proposed by Microsoft Research. You can search "Query Estimation" on ACM portal for some articles. I was wondering-which one are they using in the SQL2005 :)
Thanks again,
Ando

|||

ah, okay then...can't help with that kind of detail :S

Although I'd also be interested to find out...I'll keep watching this thread :D

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment