Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Data source problem. Help! - remote report server

Hi guys,

I have project A with the data source name called 'dsyellow', which is a shared data source. The reports in this project were deployed and working fine.I created a new project(project B) and used the same dataset name (i.e.dsyellow), however this data source points to a different database. Accidentaly when I deploy project B, I overwrote the data source of Project B and I am unable to run the reports in project A. I am getting the following error message. I tried to re-deploy the the first datasource by overwriting the latest data source, however, when I run the report, I am getting the same problem. Please this is urgent. Let me know if you have any idea.

  • An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

  • Cannot create a connection to data source 'dsyellow'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

  • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

  • From Report Manager you can create a second data source that will work for Project B. Then go to the properties page for the report and select the Data Source tab and point it to this new Data source. For the Project A report, also make sure that on the Data Source tab you are pointing to the dsYellow shared data source, then go to the properties tab for the dsYellow shared datasource and make sure that the connection string and user information are what you expect.

    I hope this helps.

    |||

    I think what you said make sense. However, I am having one more issue that prevent me to do that. The issue is that I am not seeing the Data Source folder from the content page of the Report Manager. I think it seems that it is hidden. I hope I will be able to solve the problem if I am able to see the Data Source folder first. Do you have any idea about this?

    Appreciate it.

    |||

    hey! I figured out how to get back the hidden data source folder. I think I can do it now.

    Thanks for your help.

    |||Items are only hidden in the list view, if you click on the Detail View button, all items are visible. Is this what you found?|||

    Yea, that was what I found. But the issue is still there. Here is the thing,I created a new project with some reports in it. My data source is from a remote server. The report is also deployed on the same remote server. I am able to run the report from my development machine. However, the error comes after deploying it on the remote server and try to run it from the report server. I checked that my report is pointing to the right server name and database name. But no luck. Ohhhhhh it makes me crazy.

    |||Can you run the report on the actual report server so you can get the full error?|||

    I did. This is the error message:

  • An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

  • Cannot create a connection to data source 'dsyellow'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

  • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

  • |||The error is stating that you are not local so therefore it is not showing the full error stack. Can you look in the RS log files to get the actual error?|||Do you know which table shows the errors?|||

    Daniel is suggesting to look in the RS log files. They are located here:

    {Drive}:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.{Instance_of_RS}\Reporting Services\LogFiles

    Jarret

    |||

    Hey guys,

    It may sounds crazy but I am having some previllage issue to access the report server machine to get the log file. Anyhow, let me put the problem this way. I have three servers, assume ServerA,ServerB, and ServerC. ServerA is where the database(datasource) is located. ServerB is used as a report server and Server C is my local machine where I design reports. So obviously I deployed the reports from my local machine(server C) to the remote report server(server B). Deployement was successful but I got the following error when I run the report from the report server. You might think that the report is not pointing to the right data source, I checked that several times and it is pointing to the right data source.

  • An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

  • Cannot create a connection to data source 'dsCallB'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

  • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors|||

    Going along with Daniel's suggestion earlier, you should open up Internet Explorer from ServerB's desktop (the RS server), and go to http://localhost/ReportServer. Then navigate to your report and see if you get more information about your error.

    Another thing to check... Make sure your report's data source is setup correctly by doing this:

    Open http://ServerB/Reports and navigate to your report.
    Click on the 'Properties' tab, then select 'Data Source' from the left side.
    Double check your data source and initial catalog in your connection string.
    Then, select 'Credentials stored securely in the report server' in the 'Connect using...' section.
    Type in a domain account with sysadmin privileges (for this test) like DOMAIN\USERNAME, with its respective password.
    Check the box for 'Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source'.
    Click 'Apply' at the bottom, and then click the 'View' tab to run the report.

    Hope this helps.

    Jarret

    |||I did that so many times, but no luck.|||

    Hmmmm...

    Open up Reporting Services Configuration Manager and connect to ServerB. Click 'Database Setup' from the left pane. Make sure that the Server Name, Database Name, Credentials Type, Account Name, and Password are all correct.

    Log into ServerB directly and browse to http://localhost/Reports and paste the message you get when you try to run this report. It should give more information about your error.

    Do any other reports work from ServerB? If so, can you create another report pointing to the same database as dsCallB, with "select top 1 Name from sys.objects". Deploy it and see if it returns any data.

    Jarret

    sql
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment